moldybluecheesecurds 2

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Moldy's cookie baking tips

I've liked chocolate chip cookies forever and have usually just used the Toll House recipe. When I met my wife, she noted that my cookies were very "cakey," and that chewy cookies were preferable. (Note: though I tended to eat as much in dough as cookie, therefore not noticing, others have confirmed this preferential state).

Thus, I set upon Google with the intention of finding the secret to chewier cookies and have set out to help all you faithful readers in your cookie-baking endeavors.

Secrets to chewier cookies:
  1. Less flour (subtract 1/4 c. or so)
  2. Higher proportion of brown sugar to white
  3. Butter, butter, butter (instead of margarine)
  4. Higher temp, shorter time baking (let cookies finish baking on the sheet)
  5. 3-4 T of buttermilk (or 2-3 T of milk with a splash of vinegar)
  6. Fewer eggs (for Toll House, 1 egg instead of 2)
  7. Halve the amount of baking soda
There you have it. Now go out and bake cookies. And be sure to share :-)

No comments: