moldybluecheesecurds 2

Friday, May 04, 2007

Republican Presidential Debate: Abortion's under fire

Abortion was another significant portion of the debate, with the candidates all given the opportunity to hate Roe v. Wade. It would have been nice if all the candidates were pressed on specifics such as upholding existing law or what restrictions they would try to pass at the federal level.

Here's how the candidates would respond to choice being overturned.
Q: Would the day that Roe v. Wade is repealed be a good day for Americans?

MR. ROMNEY: Absolutely.

SEN. BROWNBACK: Be a glorious day of human liberty and freedom.

MR. GILMORE: Yes, it was wrongly decided.

MR. HUCKABEE: Most certainly.

REP. HUNTER: Yes.

MR. THOMPSON: Yes.

SEN. MCCAIN: Repeal.

MR. GIULIANI: It would be okay...It would be okay to repeal. Or it would be okay also if a strict constructionist judge viewed it as precedent, and I think a judge has to make that decision.

Q to Guiliani: Would it be okay if they didn’t repeal it?

MR. GIULIANI: I think that -- I think the court has to make that decision, and then the country can deal with it. We’re a federalist system of government, and states could make their own decisions.

REP. TANCREDO: After 40 million dead because we have aborted them in this country, I say that that would be the greatest day in this country’s history when that is in fact overturned.
After that round of male back-patting, the questions got a little more into details, with questions being asked about exceptions to illegal abortion within the first 8-12 weeks (trimester). Unfortunately, only three of the candidates were asked elaborate.

Q: Governor Gilmore, you have said in the past that you believe in the first eight to 12 weeks of pregnancy, that a woman should have the right to have an abortion. Do you still stick with that exception?
MR. GILMORE: I do...However, my record as governor of Virginia, I think, has been one that the pro-life community, of which I am a part, would be very proud -- passing a 24-hour waiting period, passing informed consent, passing parental notification, signing the partial-birth abortion law in Virginia.

MR. THOMPSON: I believe it should be left up to the states.
The final abortion question went to Governor Romney, who has been quoted as "effectively pro-choice" as well as "always for life."
MR. ROMNEY: Well, I’ve always been personally pro-life, but for me there was a great question about whether or not government should intrude in that decision. And when I ran for office, I said I’d protect the law as it was, which is effectively a pro-choice position. About two years ago when we were studying cloning in our state, I said, look, we have gone too far; it’s a brave new world mentality that Roe v. Wade has given us; and I changed my mind.
In sum, all the men would rejoice at having a women's right to choose undermined, although the few candidates questioned about the nuance weren't willing to come out and oppose abortion in all circumstances.

No comments: