moldybluecheesecurds 2

Thursday, December 01, 2005

The speed-walking smoker

I ride the train to school most days and really enjoy being able to combine mass transit with the short walk to campus from the station. This 5-10 minute trip actually ends up being the majority of my exercise most days, so it's particularly nice to have some time to just think about the world. It was very enjoyable until I started encounter him.

This guygets off the train at the same stop, walks in the same direction, and at approximately the same pace. This is already annoying, because nobody likes it when they end up in that awkward situation of walking alongside a stranger, both of you going the same speed. But this guy likes to rachet up the fun by lighting up as soon as we leave the station platform.

Since I prefer to walk in clean air, I'm left with one option: outpace the guy. I tried letting him get ahead one day, and had to sit in his cancer stick miasma for the entire trip from station platform to school. So I walk faster. However, the sprinting smoker seems to take this as a challenge, upping his own pace and requiring me to set a pace somewhere between brisk walk and dumb-looking speed walker. Asshole!

No comments: