moldybluecheesecurds 2

Monday, May 23, 2005

Good opportunity or getting suckered?

Where does a solo worker find leverage at their job? I’m finding myself trapped between a rock and a hard place at my current job.

I’m delighted to have a job that I find interesting and challenging. It’s a rare opportunity to use your mind in the American workplace, so I’m pretty thankful. I got the job while being unemployed in January, so I accepted the offered wages and the temporary status without much argument, especially since I had already been rejected for the same position full-time.

But here’s the rub: four months later I’m still here. Pay is the same, job duties are significantly expanded. And ironically, the boss no longer seems to be searching for a full-time replacement. In a recent conversation regarding my future, I was told that while the work I do is great, I’m still lacking in a few key areas.

Note that despite my apparent deficiencies, no interviewing is happening, no job posting is up. So am I really just a temp worker filling the gap or a really cheap employee, getting suckered into working a temp wage with no holidays or benefits?

No comments: