moldybluecheesecurds 2

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Gmail the godsend or godforsaken?

Ha, and you thought that moldybluecheesecurds never hyped a headline.

My friend at 28th Avenue recently posted a rave review of Gmail features, a few of which I have encountered and used to great satisfaction. When it comes to speed, usability and features, I find Gmail easily bests any other webmail clients.

But what about that privacy thing? We already know that Google scans messages and offers up context ads much like it does for its famed search engine. For whatever reason, this does not bother me much. But then there's the recent court case where a judge required that a defendent's Gmail be opened to the court and it was revealed that those deleted email messages aren't really deleted.

There's probably not much sympathy for this chap, since he seems to be involved in shady doings. But privacy rights shouldn't be decided as part of criminal proceedings. Whether or not I'm ever involved in a legal row, I think I prefer that my deleted items actually are deleted. After all, even if I wrote something down, it may have been just to vent, not to share. It's disconcerting to know that while I can shred a letter I've composed, that deleted draft might dwell in a Google server for the next 30 years.

I guess there are two issues:
1) Would privacy and user intent be better respected if Google actually did "delete forever" items users had deleted?
2) Are concerns about privacy enough to prevent anyone else from using Gmail as their primary email program?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Come on moldy! You can't even truely delete a file from your hard drive! If they get a hold of your hard drive, they can pull almost anything that has ever been on your machine! So, we just need to learn that in the digital era there is no shredding, there is no delete...it's always there.