moldybluecheesecurds 2

Friday, March 30, 2007

Check out these pipes!

If you're hip to RSS and, in particular, have a lot of feeds coming to your reader, then you might be interested in Yahoo Pipes. This free service allows you to customize RSS feeds however you want, including my new favorite - keyword filtering.

Say you like getting National news from the NY Times to your RSS reader, but you are tired of stories about Anna Nicole Smith. Load up the feed in Pipes, filter the keyword "tart" and you're good to go!

This screenshot shows how I filtered my Lifehacker RSS feed to remove entries relating to Windows Vista, an operating system to avoid at all costs. In the first box I entered the RSS URL, in the second box I chose to block feed items with the word "Vista" in the title. In the output below, you can see the edited feed, with no Windows Vista items!

No comments: