moldybluecheesecurds 2

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

A nerd can still love Star Wars

I finally saw Star Wars Episode III this weekend and I have a III point summary:
  • Seeing movies along is fun.
  • Great movie.
  • George Lucas has been redeemed (mostly).

K was in Los Angeles this weekend and with nerd friends unavailable I decided that the wait had gone on long enough. I took off for the 9:45 showing at my local cinema, got my “small” size popcorn and pop and headed to my seat. Did I mention I planted my butt in the seat exactly 10 seconds before “A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away…” crossed the screen?

It was a good omen. Because this movie was good.

I had this nervous anticipation about Revenge of the Sith. After all, I was one of those lifelong Star Wars nerds (my college first-year dorm named our corridor the Mighty Wookies) and I had been disappointed by Episodes I and II. Were those critics right? Was my childhood reverence simply overriding my ability for fair judgment?

No. Because Episode III proves that Star Wars can still kick ass. I laughed at inside jokes, I bit my nails during tense scenes, and I felt drawn to the characters. Yes, there was actual character development. Hayden Christenson was good. Not just un-bad, but actually good.

So I forgive George Lucas. Well, mostly. Because Episode III shows that Star Wars can still be good 28 years after the original. Of course, it also demonstrates that Episodes I and II didn’t have to suck.

Oh well. Harry Potter 6 comes out in July, Goblet of Fire comes to theaters this winter, and book “4” of George R.R. Martin’s A Feast for Crows is out in November. We nerds will be plenty busy.

No comments: